Wednesday, April 23, 2014

An Interview!

   Several weeks have gone by since the last post; weeks full of grown-up responsibilities (boo), a stress meltdown here and there (boo), bike rides in non-arctic temperatures (yay!), and a blogger interview swap between the author of Life on Two Wheels, Josie Smith, and myself (big yay!).  My goal was/is to find out more about the women out there who are riding bikes and blogging about it, and sharing this info with the five people who read my own blog (shhhhh!).
   Josie Smith entered the world of bicycling with heart and soul in 2012, and being a pretty darn good writer, has been blogging extensively about her experiences, and the experiences of others via interviews.  Besides Life on Two Wheels, she also contributes bicycle-related articles to Imagine Northeast Iowa, and to the blog page of her fabulous local bike shop, Decorah Bicycles, as well as a number of other blogs.  Can you say, "productive"?  She also answered all of my questions in record time, so without any more blathering on my part, here is her awesome interview:


What led up to 2012 being the Year of the Bicycle for you?
I woke up on a Monday morning and felt sick of myself and the fact I drove to work and it was a measly 3 or so blocks away. I didn't realize I had exercise induced asthma, so when allergy season started to get bad I'd find it difficult to walk to work without an attack-hence the driving. I was also in an unhealthy marriage that was going nowhere. I was off of antidepressants and feeling stuck, lethargic, and trapped; I wanted to reclaim myself and apparently a bike could do that.
I text a co-worker/friend and informed him of my decision and that I requested his assistance since he was
a. a year-round commuter, b. a bike lover, and c. the one who had pushed me for 2 1/2 years to get a damn bike. I told him I would have a bike by the end of the week, to which he played reverse psychology on me and said "I bet not." Well, we stopped at Decorah Bicycles and found a used bike I felt comfortable on-long story short I found I really enjoyed biking.
I'm also allergic to exercise...so I hate working out and will not go to gyms. For me a fitness activity must not, under any circumstances, feel like "work" and that isn't to say it doesn't require effort-but it must be enjoyable when effort is given.

I started riding the paved trail that is built in Decorah-Trout Run Trail and found myself enjoying this special "me" time. This morning bike ride also proved to be very therapeutic for me. I was under an enormous amount of stress over my life and the things going on in it. My marriage was straining me in multiple ways and I was having a lot of scattered energy. Biking honestly helped keep me off of anti-depressants and it also helped me come to terms on my own time, that I had to make life changes in order to be happy: divorce was something I had to consider. I biked my way through divorce, it helped me keep my sanity, and it also helped me find love too.

What inspired you to start blogging?
I've always been a talker and apparently a good writer...I actually had a blog I kept awhile back that was based on my cat(s). It was also an outlet for my depression and eventual divorce from my husband. I actually find that I write a lot better than I speak, most times because I actually have time to form the sentences that I want to use. I guess you can consider it the sort of "stage fright" and I'm also nervous over speaking up/out or expressing my opinion due to low self-confidence. However, when I write I don't care. Writing for me is a very freeing sort of communication.

What inspired you to start an interview series on your blog?
Originally my blog was to be a personal blog for my bike riding experiences that I felt I couldn't write up something "blog worthy" for another site (Imagine Northeast Iowa...pen name-JosieLeah)
I for one, get intrigued about the lives of others; especially when pertaining to bikes/bike riding/adventures. I was told by a friend last year that I had inspired her to start commuting in the winter. She figured if I could do it-she could too! This was all because I talked about it, Facebooked, and blogged; I guess I figured if I could inspire someone others could too.
I'm not talented or well-versed in all aspects of the bike riding world. I would say I'm commuter first, paved riding second, snow biking third, and mountain biking fourth. I'm still getting my feet wet! I wanted to interview all sorts of different women (and men) who are well-versed in many different areas: professional, road, mountain, and commuter...to give something that everyone can relate to and find inspirational.


As a female bike rider, what would you like to see happen?
I would like to see more women to start saying "Let's do this!" or "I can do this!" instead of saying "can't" because that word just stops you from even attempting. I kept myself off a bike for more years than necessary and it was all do to the "I can't" and I feel frustrated by that. Commuting is sometimes scary, but so is walking in the street. I've found commuting during the winter months more comfortable than driving!
Riding fatbikes up in the pine trails of a local park was very liberating and not scary at all; mountain biking still makes me nervous, but I sure as heck want to give it a winning try. I realize I may never be an adept mountain biker but if I can manage on some of the less technical trails then I'll be sure to have fun out there. So often we are our own setbacks and this is something that I worry is more predominant in females than males-biking in any shape or form can be a very liberating and freeing experience and we shouldn't tell ourselves that we can't do it. I think of more of us develop a can-do attitude the more bike companies and bike shops will take notice-which means more female based product as well as people taking the time to find out what we really want in terms of color and gear. (If persons chose to wear "gear")


What kind of riding do you like the most, and is this the type you engage in most often?
Hmmm...good question! The riding I do typically the most is commute to work. The second most common riding I do is paved trail riding (which I hope to incorporate more paved surfaces in the future, however I would like to do that with a riding partner vs. go alone. I will be honest, the idea of road riding by myself doesn't sit well.) I really enjoy the Trout Run Trail and think it's a great addition to the community of Decorah. I like how I feel on the paved surface when I go down the switchbacks, it feels really awesome! The curve and swerve into the corners are intoxicating to me. I'm finding that I'm enjoying hill climbs a bit more with being clipped in; strong and powerful come into my mind.
I really loved fatbiking in the snow this year and feel strongly it's something everyone (and woman) should try! Fatbikes really are fun and they give you more ability to get from point a. to point b. in the snow. I feel that if people try fatbikes out, they will be more liable to try mountain biking (you can mountain bike on a fatbike if you are really nervous about roots and things.)
I have this deep-seeded desire to be a better mountain biker because I really do love being outside in the wooded areas. It reminds me of my dad's home and I always enjoyed walking in the woods. Plus, few women in Decorah actually mountain bike so I figure if I got out there, maybe some of them would want to give it a go.

It appears you name your bikes. What are the stories behind the names?
Sir Richard the Ironhearted is my trusty first and undoubtedly most homely bike I own. He is not ridden much anymore (but will be utilized for getting groceries this year) He was the one who "started it all" and actually brought Travis and I together. He's very heavy and a very bland colored bike, but the first bike I bought myself. Richard is named after my uncle Rick whom I love dearly, and who also names his cars fun and clever names.
Captn' Johnny is my Specialized Vita Elite, the second bike I bought myself and my regular paved trail riding bike. I realized soon after I started riding regularly that I wanted to go fast! Johnny has been upgraded a bit this year so he's a bit closer to a road bike than not-and I'm also riding clipless on him as well. In the winter he's set up on my stationary trainer, thinking of those warmer spring days while we pedal nowhere. I really love the Pirates of the Caribbean movies....(hinthint)
Nikita is my first custom built Surly Karate Monkey, otherwise known as my bicycle engagement ring (per Travis). She's swanky, decked in some rare Chris King bling, and has parts that probably do not really *need* to be on her. She's mainly used for gravel and paved trail riding (road).
Athena you could say, is Nikita's little sister. She's my second custom Surly Karate Monkey that has some hand-me-downs from one of Travis' bikes. She's my regular go-to commuter bike as well as for paved riding. She's my first "sexy" bike and I felt her name should signify that...plus I was watching the original La Femme Nikita series on dvd....heh heh.
Bruno is my custom built/panted Surly Krampus whom is my mountain bike used ironically for mountain biking :) (The Karate Monkey bikes are also mountain bikes, but not used for that purpose) he's big, bad, and totally rad! I have to remind everyone that when one talks of fatbikes, the Krampus is not a fatbike and will not act as one. I named him Bruno after my dad's dog that was around when I was little...I figured he should have a strong, protective name.
Freya is my future mountain bike, a Trek Cali Carbon SLX-she's still a work in progress and will be ridden once I'm a bit more seasoned on some of the trails. I'll be honest, her name might change once she's more complete and I ride her.
Lastly is Bettie Page, a Specialized Ruby Elite Compact EQ.....a mouthful. She is my first official and true road bike. She has a doozy of a neat chain, is super sexy, and is totally "me" when it comes to color. (I like black and blue bikes, apparently). She's also a work in progress, but will be done by the time I'm to ride my first century ride this year. I feel it's a classy, sharp, and beautiful bike.

I have a lot of bikes but you can blame Travis for that. The one I would say I had the most desire for would be Athena, a more nimble commuter bike that was more versatile than Richard. Travis feels because I've grown and love bike riding so much, he wants me to have similar experiences as he did with different kinds of bikes. If I end up disliking something or it's never used then it will likely find a new home. I guess it's all part of the experience, eh? I can't lie, when he showed me the road bike he had gotten in for the store, I will admit that I did really like the look of it. However, that bike was a size too large for me so I tried to tell myself "I don't need this" however, I ended up getting the opportunity regardless.

Do you look at your life any differently now that you ride, than you did before you became interested in cycling?
My life is pretty different now, for sure! I am not sure I can say exactly how and why but I think it's because I proved myself wrong....that I could ride a bicycle. I am not a "super-pro" by any means, but I do believe I ride a bike fairly well. Being organically interested in bikes (not just because I'm in a relationship with an owner of a bike shop) allows me to relate to or meet new people with similar interests. I find bicycles fascinating and even more-how they have changed or provided fulfillment in the lives of others. The bicycle gave me confidence that I lacked, it opened many doors to me, and it also has provided me with opportunities to bring more purpose into my life.

Had you ever exercised or thought about fitness and/or health before you rode a bike?
Off and on I experimented with fitness type things. I mostly did my own exercise routine of crunches, push-ups, and squats. I hate running (and so do my legs/hips) so that was short-lived. I do not mind hiking but it ends up being me out and taking pictures more than anything. I'm not a fan of gyms or group fitness. The same year I bought my bike I had originally started doing a kickboxing routine on the Wii, however I wanted to incorporate something more into my life. Once I got the bike I actually stopped with the kickboxing, biking was much more entertaining to me than being inside.

Do you think about fitness and/or health now that you do ride a bike?
I have to be careful with being too obsessive about how fast I go or how long I can ride my bike. I had an eating disorder throughout the latter part of my high school years and a few years after graduation. The more stressed I am the more I start obsessing over something I can "control" and at times struggle with the concept of "earning" food. Overall I'm alright and manage to cope and work through this without too many emotional moments, Travis has been very good at being the level head and helping to keep my obsessive tendencies in check.
I focus on how good it makes me feel on a mental and emotional level, sure I might reward myself with a treat if I work extra hard, but I do not deprive myself. I ride my bike because I like how it makes me feel and because I enjoy it, the fitness aspect is second.

Do you feel you would have gotten as far as you have without the support of a local bike shop?

Probably not. Honestly, my relationship with Travis really did bring forth more opportunities for me than what I originally thought I'd experience. Before Travis and I officially entered into the relationship I was in the process of buying Capn' Johnny. I imagine what would've happened in the future had Travis and I not actually started seeing each other I would've bought a Surly Karate Monkey. I say this because I have a friend of mine who likes to go gravel riding, plus it is a mountain bike and we may have gone on some of the more "beginner" trails in town together (which there is a plan for that!) I'm sure I would've come to the conclusion I needed a slightly more versatile bike so I could do other kinds of riding with my friends. Capn' Johnny would not have been the last bike I would've purchased, no way. Would I have still commuted in the winter months? Yup. Perhaps not as well as I did with Travis' assistance with providing gear, tires, etc. however I still would've done it.
It's hard to say, but I'll say I would've been more set-back financially and probably would not have gotten as far as I have. However, I feel I would be enjoying my bike riding regardless, it's humbling and I greatly appreciate the opportunities and experiences I get to have. Equipment really can set you back-had I been braver and bought a 700 dollar bike my first time vs. spending around 150 on a used bike-I could've accelerated my growth.

Do you feel your town/city/State of Iowa supports bicycling, and is there room for improvements?
From the outside looking in, you would think Decorah would be very supportive of the internal bicycle community, however I feel it isn't the case. We have a fantastic paved trail that draws in a lot of tourism, and last year introduced bicycle stalls which are installed in a car-parking spot during the nicer months. This year one of the stalls which was put on Water St. was moved to a parking lot, which to me says a lot about our "bike friendliness" for local people.
Apparently a business complained of the bike stall taking up precious downtown parking (which being that bicycles are vehicles, we should have ample parking as well). With the stall moved to a parking lot, it's very much showing the "out of sight, out of mind" concept. A person I know posted pictures on Facebook-bikes parked all along the front of businesses on that block and no bikes at all in the bike stall.
Bike racks in the winter are barely cleared, I think most of the ones cleared were by people who used them-not the city who would be responsible for clearing them. The bike racks where I work were piled with snow-there isn't much acknowledgement of the year-round commuter nor enough who actually commute year-round for the city to care. (sad)
We had sharrows painted on our roads, but they are becoming worn away and barely noticeable. For sure they provided people with stuff to talk about, some nay-saying them and others approving. People do not seem to know what they mean! Also there is one painted bike lane on a street I do not even like driving on. I would not want to ride my bike on that street, especially when busy, because I do not feel confident people would actually pay enough attention to me. If it were a protected lane or painted with a bright color-then perhaps I'd change my tune.
We have a long ways to go before our local bike riders are accepted as much as tourists-I feel the latter hold more precedence because the city feels they bring in more money. 
 
 
Wasn't that great?  Be sure to check out Life on Two Wheels for Josie's own interview series. Ciao bella!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving your comment. Please be respectful of others and avoid writing something in the heat of the moment - take the time to breathe, and consider.